[VHFcontesting] ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Bruce Tobias wb9woz at comcast.net
Mon Jun 12 22:57:06 EDT 2006

Well, what a great contest.  Worked 8 hours total over the 2 days.
Results from EN51 were:
6 meters   77 qso      100 watts
2 meters   27 qso      50 watts
70 cm      17 qso      20 watts
50 multipliers
6900 claimed score

Ran a 6 meter PAR antenna and a E-Factor dual band loop (2m/70cm) from
KU4AB. Forgot to bring a vertical for fm.
Phil, the E-Factor worked quite well. What really impressed me was that
I was able to work 130 miles using ssb on 432 with only 20 watts. Very
cool !! I will be using that antenna configuration for Field Day.
6 meters was hot on Saturday. Hearing all 1 and 2 call areas. A few 3's.
Not much else. On Sunday, 6 was dead except for local 8's,9's and 0's.
Did manage to work California and New Mexico. Just as well, made me
concentrate on 2m and 432.
Even got to meet Mike wb8bzk/rover. He operated from the same site for a
few hours on Sunday. Nice antenna setup on the rover. He also had a
KU4AB 2 meter loop on his car.

So, now a question for those aluminum junkies out there. I want to build
a 432 yagi. Looking for a boom length of around 5 feet. 10-15 elements.
Similar to a Cushcraft A430-11S. I've got enough scrap here to put one
together. All I need is dimensions and element spacing. Everything I've
seen on the internet is not quite what I'm looking for. Anyone have
plans to share?

Bruce
wb9woz