[VHFcontesting] June VHF contest from W5TD

John Geiger w5td at lcisp.com
Tue Jun 13 15:00:17 EDT 2006

This was my first VHF contest using my new W5TD call, and also the first contest with a reduced station setup.  I had to downsize recently for some unexpected bills, and then the rig I downsized to died unexpectedly, so I was blessed to find an Icom 706 original, with SSB filter, at an affordable price in time for the contest.  I focused almost all my activity on 6 meters, since I was limited to 10 watts on 2 meters and had no 70cm SSB.

I have always wanted to work 100 grids on 6 in 1 contest, and almost made it.  The 706 performed very well, and conditions were variable but the band was open to some part of the US much of the weekend.  It was open very nicely at the start of the contest, and then kind of closed down for a few hours starting about 2 pm local, with only very spotting openings.  It started opening Saturday evening, but after a few QSOs I had to leave to go bicycling and for dinner with the XYL (the babysitter was unavailable Friday night).  When I returned, we still had an opening straight north, and I picked up a few grids that way.

Sunday started out slow, and much of the time the openings were pretty limited in coverage, but the band was open to somewhere all day after about 10am.  I had a nice run going on 50.125 right at the end of the contest, when the band shorted and I picked up a few new mults in Colorado.  With about 5 minutes left some sort of real bad noise showed up causing about an S5 noise level, so I am sure I missed several stations that were calling me.  I really miss the NB that the FT100D has.

Still, I made 93 grids on 6, which is my best contest total ever!  I am sure I would have made the 100 had I been at home Saturday night-maybe next year!  It was also nice to work two 1 land stations from here since that is a difficult distance on 6.  Called W2SZ/1 a few times but they just couldn't hear me through the QRM.

Here are my totals:

Band     QSO     Grids
6           141        93
2             6           3
222         1           1
432         1           1
902         1           1
Total    150         99

Score=15,246

This was the most fun I have had in a contest in quite a while.  Lets hope we get some conditions next month for the CQ VHF contest.  I might even go roving to EM05 and EM03 for that one.

73s John W5TD
EM04to