[VHFcontesting] Anyone using TS-2000 in Rover?

Eric Smith kb7dqh at donobi.net
Wed Jun 14 14:08:27 EDT 2006

I would NEVER use an Icom 706 Mk2G in a rover or even a
multiop environment.  The radio simply generates too much
broadband garbage beyond where it is transmitting.  I was
using one and discovered the 432 transmitter section would
wipe out everything from 6 meters up, and that is with good
low pass filtering on the 6 meter station, a bandpass
cavity on the 2 meter station, a DCI filter on 222, and
extra low pass filtering on the '706!!!

So I pulled it out and reinstalled my old reliable Icom
471.  It may not have the sensetivity of the '706, but the
clean pll makes for excellent spectral purity on transmit
and high dynamic range on receive.

I would use it in a rover installation with the '706 as the
only rig, provided the antennas used don't have too much
gain, such as halos or big wheels.  Otherwise the front end
will get crushed by strong adjacent signals.

Eric
KB7DQH

http://www.arrl.org/contests/soapbox/index.html?con_id=105&call=k2qo