[VHFcontesting] Banning The Use Of 144.200 MHz During Contests

John Geiger w5td at lcisp.com
Wed Jun 21 10:56:43 EDT 2006

We have the same situation here in SW Oklahoma. I don't think I have ever
worked a station during a contest here more than 5khz away from 144.200,
except for a couple of WSJT skeds.  Activity is low enough here that you
usually just leave your dial on 144.200 and work whoever shows up.

I would actually prefer to see the prohibition on 146.52 lifted.  If we want
to get more new hams interesting in contesting, lets look to the FM crowd,
as that is what most people start out with.  The only frequency that most of
them are ever told about for simplex operation is 146.52, and I would bet
that many of them don't even know about simplex at all.  But we need to make
it as simple as possible for them, and to operate where they are likely to
look.

73s John W5TD
EM04to