[VHFcontesting] Banning The Use Of 144.200 MHz During Contests

David ke4yyd at gtcom.net
Thu Jun 22 13:08:29 EDT 2006

Jim,

Thanks for being involved in contesting needs/concerns.

I don't think abolishing the use of 144.2  or 146.520 is useful to
contesting, however their use could be better.

I propose that those freqs should not be allowed to make and log contacts as
I have seen tremendous abuse of 144.2 by big guns in pasts contests.
However stations should be allowed to CQ the freqs and announce that they
will be "listening on 144. 170 for contacts" or whatever freq they care to
use.  This would keep the use of 144.2 and 146.52 as calling freqs and allow
folks to find where people are listening.  I have used this technique in the
past very successfully on 144.2 and intend to continue in the future.

Thanks,

David Hinton
KE4YYD