[VHFcontesting] Contesting in general

Sean Kutzko kx9x at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 22 15:16:05 EDT 2006

FM in contest is a sure-fire way to get newbies
interested in contesting, and get a few extra points
in your log.

Mike, perhaps an FM-only contest for the newbies in
your area would be a good intro. I started a one-hour,
FM simplex contest in central Illinois a few years ago
just for that purpose. Cities were used as
multipliers, exchange was name and city, and rovers
were allowed.

I moved away a couple years ago, but this remains one
of the more popular events in hte Champaign, IL ham
community.

Here's a link to the rules:
http://www.qsl.net/k9cu/fmrules.html

Your milage may vary.

Sean

--- "Mike (KA5CVH) Urich" <ka5cvh at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am of the mindset that too many in the hobby only
> think SSB or CW
> when you discuss contesting even when considering
> the V/UHF bands.
> For a few years now I have been pushing the idea of
> FM contesting for
> both newbies and those hams who have limited
> stations due to
> restrictions or finances.
>
> I would contend that with the limited number of FM
> contacts being made
> now there is no threat that 146.52 is under siege by
> a few big guns.
>
> http://www.ka5cvh.com/vhf/contest.htm
>
> --
> Mike Urich, KA5CVH
>
> Support http://www.irey.com

Sean Kutzko, Amateur Radio KX9X
Gillespie, IL       Grid EM59cd
   http://www.seankutzko.com

"There ain't nothing like a friend who can tell you
You're just pissing in the wind."  --Neil Young