[VHFcontesting] Banning The Use Of 144.200 MHz During Contests

John Isenberg ihi at frontiernet.net
Thu Jun 22 15:37:51 EDT 2006

Jim,

I am not sure there is one good answer to your question.  I work the VHF/UHF contest from EL99 (St. Augustine Beach Florida).  I think all my contacts were on 144.200 (all 13 contacts and 7 grids over the two days!) and that is fine.  There is so little activity that it is nice to just leave the radio on 144.200 and know that I am likely to hear anyone that is calling CQ.  (btw, I think all my 432 contacts were on the calling frequency also).   I think in that case not having the use of the calling frequency would be a detriment to the contest.

On the other hand I tend to operate as a rover in New England in June and September, and the band is quite busy.  I have heard people camp on 144.200 and operate all they can.  That is probably a bit of improper use of the calling frequency.  I am ASSUMING that they would readily relinquish the calling frequency if someone needed it certainly for any emergency and even if they just had a sked to call someone, but it is not clear.  Most operators tend to call CQ from most any frequency from 144.160 up to 144.250 and most also tune around the band to work others.

Sorry for the complex answer, but in terms of your question B, I think these points should be considered.  As a suggestion, if the 144.200 calling frequency is made unavailable for contesting, then there should be some well known frequency that everyone can use for contesting.  (ex, use 144.210 as a "contesting calling frequency")

Good luck with your challenging work

Jack
WA2IID