[VHFcontesting] Adjacent frequencies

Jim Worsham wa4kxy at bellsouth.net
Fri Jun 23 21:20:03 EDT 2006

A very good question.  When I was just starting out in this VHF contesting
game I had the same question and went to the source at the ARRL to get the
answer.  I was told that the intent of the prohibition against operating on
146.52 was that you could not operate any closer than the nearest nationally
recognized simplex (146.49 and 146.55) channel.  In those parts of the
country that have 20 or 15 kHz channel spacing then those would be the
recognized limits.  For SSB the answer is not nearly as straight forward.
Since there has never been an SSB frequency not allowed for use during a
contest that would be new ground.

73
Jim, W4KXY