[VHFcontesting] ETDXA 50 MHz Sprint K5TR (WM5R, op.) SOHP

Kenneth E. Harker kenharker at kenharker.com
Sun May 14 20:54:37 EDT 2006

ETDXA 50 Mhz Sprint Summary

    Contest Dates : 13-May-06, 14-May-06
    Callsign Used : K5TR
          Station : K5TR
         Operator : WM5R
         Category : SOHP
          Country : United States

    6SSB      25          25         25      13

 Totals       25          25         25      13

    Final Score = 325 points.

Once again, George was a great host.  He had to spend some time
hooking up the Kenwood TS-690 so I could get on 6 meters.  As
sometimes happens in this contest, we encounter technical issues
to work out.  This time, the W9XT Contest Card DVK was not behaving,
so George ended up swapping out the entire computer with another
one he had on hand with a W9XT Contest Card in it.  The original
computer had a recently added serial and parallel port expansion
card in it, and that might have been the source of the problem.
In any event, it is good to get these issues identified and dealt
with before the ARRL June VHF QSO Party.

One technical issue that was not overcome was a stuck rotator.
I had two monoband Yagis at my disposal, one of which was fixed
WNW because of the stuck rotor.  I don't think it made any difference
to my score.

I only worked three stations outside of Texas, all in the final
hour.  One of those was a station in western Louisiana, clearly
a long troposcatter QSO.  The other two were with stations in Ohio
and Illinois, and did not feel like E skip.  I think they were
both meteor scatter.

Among the Texas stations I worked, one was a station that called
me using a 20 meter dipole for an antenna who was quite enthused
that I could hear him.  I worked two stations who did not know their
own grid locator, but were able to explain their location well enough
for me to deduce what it is.

Maybe next year there will be Eskip.

Rate Sheet
----------