[VHFcontesting] Root Cause: Grid Circling

Ev Tupis w2ev at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 7 13:43:04 EST 2006

I am a recovering Grid Circler. :)

The root cause of the problem is dual-faceted and is based as follows:
1. How a "New QSO" is defined and
2. The limited number of participants in even the most popular VHF events

Until one or the other item above changes, the ONLY solution is this...

...  Include "% unique CALLSIGNS" as a summary statistic. (viewers may then decide just how "valid" of an entry they are competing against)

Ev, W2EV

PS: In the early days of the 10-GHz and Above contest, I had two complete stations for 10-, 24- and 47-GHz.  Why?  Because I was the only person on the band, within range.  Did I grid circle?  You bet I did.  Otherwise, I would have had a score of ZERO -- and that is good for nobody.