[VHFcontesting] Changing "it" - The framework for a new contest

Ev Tupis w2ev at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 7 19:01:31 EST 2006

Playing off of John's suggestion...

----- Original Message ----
From: "John (JK) Kalenowsky, K9JK"

SO...might the area to address be the SCORING system? This IS a contest and
SCORING IS a part of it. Probably ANY scoring system will have a way to be
"optimized" from the other parameters of the contest and. As Buck, KC2HIZ,
wrote: "The rules are there specifically to be exploited; to find the way to
make the most points." I read some consensus that "quotas" will be
ineffective and, whether my read is accurate or not, I agree with that.
----------------------------

Let's change "it"...in this case, the root-problem: grids as unique QSO identifiers and multipliers.  <gasp!>

Consider the following:
The IARU Region 1 VHF contests use DX-based scoring.  The ARRL 10-GHz and Above contest uses DX-based scoring with unique callsign bonuses.  The Stew Perry Top Band DX Challenge uses DX-Zone scoring.  Here's the "what if" to consider in the establishment of a NEW contest (with a potentially new sponsor)...

What if Grid6 (not Grid4) were used as the exchange?
What if QSO points were 1/km (as calculated Grid6-to-Grid6)?
What if one end of a QSO must move 50km before another QSO with the same stations was allowed for additional contest credit?
What if scores summed for all operating locations?

There's more...but let's start with this.  Try to not compare this with what we're already familiar and comfortable with.  Instead, make the leap directly into such a contest and comment on it without the baggage of what we know today.

Regards,
Ev, W2EV