[VHFcontesting] [Roving...]

Eric Smith kb7dqh at donobi.net
Tue Nov 7 23:03:00 EST 2006

Interesting to note that the ETDXA and SVHFG sprints and
the CQ WW VHF tests use the "old" rover rules AND allow for
repeated APRS...

Not much "captive grid packing" going on here...

Or, go back to the pre-rover "insanity" of sending in
separate logs for each grid one worked from.  This would
also allow for International roving where the rover
posesses licenses and callsigns for the other countries and
under the current ARRL rules is unable to participate fully
as a rover operating under the proper callsign for the
nation the rover operates from.  I know of a couple rover
operations burned by the "one log per contest" and "one
callsign per station" rules.

And for the life of me, I still to this day have no idea
why the ARRL (and everyone else, for that matter) limits
the number of "operators" in a rover vehicle to  TWO...
I wonder what "abomination" prompted that silly rule...
 Can anyone shed some light on this???

As I understand the reasoning for creating the "Rover"
category in VHF contesting in the first place, was to
recognize the efforts of contesters who travelled to
multiple rare and unpopulated grids to "get them on the
air" so the greater population of VHF'ers could do silly
things like get more QSL cards and get their VUCC sooner...
or something like that.

Eric
KB7DQH