[VHFcontesting] question regarding ATV, yes it is contest related

kr7o at vhfdx.com kr7o at vhfdx.com
Fri Sep 8 14:07:16 EDT 2006

I have a stupid ATV question.  If I take a standard ATV transmitter and do
not provide any video input, will all of the transmit power be available to
the audio channel?

OK, here is the contest tie in.  In an effort to create more activity on
902/2.3 (even if it is FM), I have been looking for ultra-cheap radios that
can be loaned out to rovers, etc.  I am looking for stuff that is cheap
enough, that I won't mind if it doesn't come back.  I have not found much
in the way of 800/900 surplus radios, that are cheap enough, but it seems
there are a lot of cheap video senders/receivers out there at 900/2.4, that
coupled with a small amp and antenna could provide some reasonable
range.  While a full ATV signal could be used, I would hate to waste 80% or
so of the power out on video.

73, Robert KR7O/YB2ARO, DM07ba/OI52ee  (ex.  N7STU)
kr7o at vhfdx.com

www.vhfdx.com (KR7O/YB2ARO homepages)