[VHFcontesting] THE MAN

Zack Widup w9sz at prairienet.org
Thu Sep 14 09:56:07 EDT 2006

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, frank bechdoldt wrote:

> Well It seems the man was out in fource this weekend.
>
> I didnt have the same problem as our friend Bruce but it could of gone that
> way.  He was ran off by the forrest service .I took my dog and pony show up
> to Crater lake, CN82, for those of us who dont talk in normal geography.  I
> did  most of the rim loop and worked alot
> form cloud cap and the intersection of SR209 and the rim drive. 7800'

Well, I hope I don't run into anything similar this weekend.

Last weekend I was on private property and have full permission from the
owner to be there.  He stopped by once in a while to see how I was doing
and if I needed anything.  A great guy! He did tell me that next year a
company is going to put three wind-powered generators on his property -
not on the hill, but the grass-dirt road going to the top will be paved
with gravel.  It will be their route to the back of his property. I can
still use the hill if I don't park in the middle of the gravel.

These things are going to be 300 feet tall, with 150-foot blades!  I doubt
if they will cause any problems with VHF signals but I'm curious about
reflecting microwave signals off those blades.  Could be interesting!

Meanwhile, in the 10 GHz contest this weekend I'm going up north of
Milwaukee and working my way down Lake Michigan. Hopefully I don't have
any trouble from "The Man."  :)

73, Zack W9SZ