[VHFcontesting] Radio to use?

Eric Smith kb7dqh at donobi.net
Sat Sep 16 08:30:12 EDT 2006

I have no experience with the '820 or '821,  but have uses
the '706MkIIG.  If these were your only choices, I would
stick with the '271/'471 pair, they posess much better
dynamic range than the '706.  The '471 seems to be "deaf"
compared to the '706 but the frequency stability is better
believe it or not... Oddly enough, unless you run a Kw or
more, the stations you don't hear on the '471 couldn't be
worked anyway.  If used with a good preamp, works just
fine. Only problem with those older singleband rigs is the
life span of the capacitors used in construction... either
the plastic trimmers which should have been changed out by
now, or the electrolytics which in the three '271's and
'471A I own
are now beginning to die out one by one.  Every year or so
some new annoying little problem will develop, and all seem
to be traced to a failing electrolytic cap it seems.
YMMV...
Eric
KB7DQH