[VHFcontesting] One Missing Rover

Joshua M. Arritt jarritt at vt.edu
Wed Aug 8 12:43:44 EDT 2007

> On Monday 06 August 2007 18:36:01 Dave Agsten wrote:
>
>> Until some VHF and UHF Contest rules are changed, I will not be out
>> in the
>> rover. With high gas prices and deaf ears in Newington, it's just not
>> worth
>> the effort to go out as a single op rover. There is a lot of work
>> involved

Dave, et al.,

Can't argue the fuel costs, but I'll contest the work and ears -- Karl,
K4TRT and I have been plotting the "foot rover" operation for a while to
spite Exxon/Mobile, but it's likely going to be restricted to only 2 or
3 grids.  (hihi).  We may debut this rove in next year's CQWW 'test.
Film at 11.

Planning this operation got us to invest in some QRP power for trial
runs.  While the Q count may be down from say, a system with 3
alternators to power that kilowatt at 1296, we've found a great amount
of operating pleasure using little FT-690R/290Rs (a 690RMkII is in the
arsenal as well) at a blazing 2.5 watts with simple dipoles, halos,
and/or short yagis.  The equipment is light-weight and ready to go
places even the ol' Toyotasaurus Rex can't go.
I've operated in semi-serious VHF/UHF contests, with hundreds of watts
and many elements, and enjoyed it immensely.  But I have to admit that
there's quite a bit of fun to be had with a scaled-back operation too,
and no matter how many or few stations you contact, they'll always
appreciate the points.  You can't beat the simplicity of set-up and
tear-down in such an op, especially when you don't have that "dedicated
vehicle".  Plus, when you get that "great 59" signal report, and respond
with "well, only 2 watts and a dipole at 8 feet", both parties in the Q
can shine a bit.

We've demonstrated this brazen approach to mountaintopping/roving in
Southwestern Virginia on several occasions, most recently during the
CQWW VHF 'test.  A half-hearted 4-hour QRP operation from 4200' AMSL
yielded over 50 Qs on 6, and about 20 on 2.  I'm certain there are other
folks on the list who can attest to the fun available with the QRP option.

Bottom line: I'd rather hoof it with a single band, low power and crappy
antennas for a few hours before giving up on a good chance to rove!
How's that for "psycho-roving"?

 73,
    - Josh / KF4YLM