[VHFcontesting] Rover Suggestions

James Duffey JamesDuffey at comcast.net
Wed Aug 8 21:59:21 EDT 2007

Lots of good suggestions already, I haven't heard this one yet:

For at least one of the three VHF contests, and maybe all three, list
rover operations by grid square and make awards to rovers by grid
square. It is a bit inconsistent to have the exchange be grid squares
and then make awards by sections. It would recognize rovers for what
they do best, put inactive grid squares on the air. The probability
is good that a rover would get at least one piece of paper for the
efforts.

I am not an experienced rover. My first roving effort was in this
June's contest and I had a blast. I was six meters only with an old
IC551D and a 2 element Yagi. There aren't a lot of active VHF
contesters in New Mexico. I activated 6 grids total and made a grand
total of 21 contacts in 5 grids and three states. As far as I can
tell, I was the only activity from at least 4 grids including one
that had not been activated previously in a VHF contest, at least
recently. I know the guys that worked me in those grids really
appreciated it and that made the roving worthwhile to me. There was
no E-skip while I was on the air, which would have made things much
better. I put 695 miles on the Soob and spent one night in a motel.
Not a cheap weekend, but my wife and I saw a lot of NM.

I like the suggestions about allowing APRS and limited bands. - Duffey

--
James Duffey KK6MC/5
Cedar Crest NM 87008