[VHFcontesting] APRS and Contesting

Stephen Hicks, N5AC n5ac at n5ac.com
Thu Aug 9 19:54:58 EDT 2007

Bruce,

Yes, I just had a conversation also with an HF contester about this.  He
presented some of the same concerns -- as a fixed station if you want to do
well you need to be an iron butt and keep your seat in the seat and find
rovers.  The problem we're having is that out of 20 fixed stations, I've
generally had 2-3 doing this while the others just believe it's not worth
the time.  Some would say "well, that's their choice and they shouldn't win
the contest if they don't want to put in the effort."  This point is really
not lost on me -- I do understand it.  Having said that, activity begets
activity and if ARPS keeps folks in the seat more because they find
contesting "easier," I say go for it.  The HF'er I was talking to suggested
a limited category for those that do not want to track folks on APRS and
want to compete on their skills to track a rover.  I thought this was a
great idea!

73,
Steve, N5AC