[VHFcontesting] HamIM and Contesting [was:APRS and Contesting]

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sat Aug 11 12:35:36 EDT 2007

On Aug 11, 2007, at 8:26 AM, Ev Tupis wrote:

> I separate "APRS" from "HamIM" when I speak on the topic.  APRS is
> not legal to use for ARRL-sponsored VHF Contests for the reasons
> that I've already outlined.  As a result, any further discussion of
> it it moot.

That's not true.  Configured not to be digipeated, (shall we call it)
"raw APRS" *is* perfectly legal, as long as other stations have to
receive you direct.

I understand your point Ev, and why you use the name to
differentiate, but it's actually more complex than that -- and we
shouldn't have to dumb it down for hams.  They supposedly are smarter
than that... supposedly.

;-)

The fact that you have to separate them by making up a name, shows
that most hams probably don't pay attention to the details, just like
any other crowd...

--
Nate Duehr, WY0X
nate at natetech.com