[VHFcontesting] Farthest FM Contact

John Geiger aa5jg at lcisp.com
Mon Aug 13 22:08:40 EDT 2007

Yes, you can do quite a bit on FM.  Back in 1999 when I was NE0P in EN41,
during a nice tropo opening I worked KA0PQW in EN33 on 2m, and needing his
grid on 222, suggested that we try that band.  He only had FM, but we easily
completed anyways. I was using a FT736R at 25 watts to a 10 element yagi.
As I recall, he was using an Icom 37A or 38A at 25 watts to a vertical.
Even with the cross polarization loss, it was a new grid for me.

You never know what you can or cannot do on VHF until you try.

73s John AA5JG