[VHFcontesting] Farthest FM Contact

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Aug 14 18:55:46 EDT 2007

Ev Tupis wrote:

> As for my statement above...it is within a different context than you may be understanding it.  When running an omnidirectional vertical, there is only so much "gain to gain". :)  As such, it is significantly more advantageous to run higher power and a pre-amp than it is to try to find a 15-dB gain omni. :)

Of course, if you're a repeater-building freak (like many of us are in
our "spare time") and just happen to have a Super Stationmaster or a
giant 8-bay DB or Sinclair folded-dipole array you've "stored" as a
spare repeater antenna, outside on a tower... it's always worth a shot
to switch it inline and see what'cha hear...

:-)

Nate WY0X