[VHFcontesting] Farthest FM Contact

curtis roseman croseman at usc.edu
Wed Aug 15 13:21:00 EDT 2007

Paul and others:

In that 1979 September contest we (W9IP multiop) were on top of a 115 foot tower on the praries just west of Champaign-Urbana Illinois (now En50).   At the last minute we somehow acquired (probably borrowed) a 220 FM rig.  I dont remember what we had for an antenna, but I do remember that for the whole contest W4BFB was full-queting on 223.5 (until they quit late Sunday afternoon).  (This, of course, would reinfoce one of the arguments for not using FM in VHF contests, but we need not go there.)

On two and 432 we worked everything from the Dakotas to Texas to Georgia (maybe Florida) to New England.  Someday it will happen again.

73, Curt Roseman k9aks