[VHFcontesting] Farthest FM Contact

Duane - N9DG n9dg at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 16 00:15:08 EDT 2007

What I've noticed over the last 15 years or so is that very
few non-weak signal ops are interested in trying to work DX
on 2M FM anymore when the band is "open". It used to be that
you would hear lots of people trying to work repeaters from
(or into) 100-250 miles away if the band was open. Same for
the FM simplex freqs. A lot of these openings (local
enhancements) seem to go completely unnoticed by the FM only
crowd these days. And even more unfortunate is that so many
of them don't even want to try to work this "DX". They may
even see it as an annoyance.

One factor no doubt is the prevalence of CTCSS on many
repeaters these days, but surely many can still hear the
outputs of the "DX" repeaters on their radios. Tone should be
a minimal factor there, I would think.

Duane
N9DG