[VHFcontesting] VUAC & roving resurected reply

James Shyrigh kc8jpz at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 18 17:17:08 EDT 2007

Well Frank,it is what you make of it. I guess it comes down to driving on the parkway and parking in the driveway.

If you plan your trip correctly a few beers or a bloody mary isn't out of the question for a rover.Our 2 grid rover trips provide enough time for contest juice hi..

I like to have fun when I contest, others like to be a bit more involved to the extent of driving in a circle around grid corners and rack up points in their own way. I enjoy hearing the familiar contesters and the new as much as the other. Im out for the fun of it. My scores prove that hi.

Maybe some day Ed will visit me for a better chance to build a big station, one worthy of shf freqs and the ability to do the math to get mega-points amongst my close friends with similar setups.

Thanks for the post,
73
Jim-KC8JPZ

frank bechdoldt <k3uhf at hotmail.com> wrote: I was gone a week or so. No activity in DN38!

To further contest the contestability of the word "contest" in reference to
the ARRL terms of "QSO parties" and "Sweepstakes".

If one goes to the ARRL homepage , clicks on operating activities and  then
contests one will see a link to the VUAC, which is linked in nature to the
ARRL contest comittee, which runs all the contests, even if we call them
sweepstakes.

That being said,  it would truely be a sweepstake if all our log entries
goes into to the barrell and a winner is drawn at random and presented an
award via a suprise visit from Ed McMamann and Dick Clark, two of the oldest
hams who do not hold a licence.

Furthermore, the QSO parties would be more of a party if you drank a beer
every time you worked a new grid. Of course rovers would not be allowed to
drink because they are obviosly allready intoxicated with something else to
go out and be a rover.

Im other contests listed under the contest calender (not special event
calender) I have yet to figure out how to round up RTTY or Schools.  Ed
Mcmann has never visited anyone after a CW sweepstaks, I think listening to
Johnny Carson and drinking all that scotch all those years made him tone
death and when they try to enter me into the phone sweepstakes I just hang
up after I tell them I'm on the no-call list for solicitations.

The only contest I would contest as a contest under the ARRL contest
calender would be what I would consider the contestable idea of Field Day a
"Non contest". However that idea would be hotley contested because Ironicly
enough; the biggest ham turn out for a contest is in fact something that in
principle started out as a "non contest" idea. It was more as a way to test
our selves with our comunication skills nationally and world wide as well as
demostrate our services to others in the world.

Again isnt it ironic from a contester's point of view of the amount of
effort and competive spirit by otherwise placid fm repeater hams  that goes
into a contest that is much more complicated in rules than any of our vhf
contests and has no awards to boot! When I was a kid we were excited to get
the school club in QST magazine!  Now theres 10,000 rules!

It seems its field day thats truely for fun/ education/ practice and its why
I contest its lable as a contest under the contest calender. Its a yearly
special event.  There should be a bit of field day fun in every contest!

Contest that!

K3uhf

This e-mail is an attempt at humor and does not not reflect the views or
inteligence  of the reflector, Arrl members, VUAC or even the Author
himself.