[VHFcontesting] "stuck rover bonus points"

Stephen Hicks, N5AC n5ac at n5ac.com
Mon Aug 20 09:03:36 EDT 2007

I was in EM34 (Arkansas) last weekend and suggested to KA5BOU and NM5M that
I try to work some of the Dallas/Ft.Worth folks from out there (about
200mi).  The first night I talked to a few guys from a hill that was about
700' above sea level and around 200' above the average terrain.  We were
unable to make some of the contacts above 900 MHz so I offered to try again
the next night, but from a higher location.  The following day, I pulled out
Topo USA and searched for a better spot.  I found a hill called "Skeleton
Mountain" and it appeared there was a nice, thick road on the map.  I let
everyone know that I would be there around 9PM.

I took off for the hill, about 20 miles from where I was camped, about
8:30PM.  I was in the middle of nowhere and it was pitch black.  Everything
was going smooth until I got within 3mi of the hilltop.  All of a sudden,
the roads shifted to dirt and no longer matched the maps.  I had three GPS
receivers on in the car -- one going to my APRS beaconing my position for
those at home (but there was probably no receiver in the area), one a
dedicated Garmin 376C and one hooked to my computer showing me where I was
on the maps I originally looked at on Topo USA and live NEXRAD.  As I drove
to the spot, I couldn't find the main road and got off on a side road
heading in the right direction.  It ended up going to a flat bridge with no
railing and no signs about what could cross.  I stepped out and shined a
flashlight to see what kind of construction the bridge was.  I had some
concrete below it so I gave it a try and made it across but ended up in a
clearing surrounded by trees.  No go.

I headed back down the road I came in on looking for an alternate way to the
hilltop.  I tried to alert my friends back in Dallas (there were 8 on 144.2
waiting on me).  It was now about 9PM and my cell phone would not maintain a
connection in the outback.  I finally found a road heading in the right
direction and got within a 1/2 mile of the hilltop and the road changed to a
one-lane wide dirt path covered with grass and about a 10% grade.  I decided
to try it and in 4WD headed up the path.  As I drove, the high beams didn't
really give me any information except what was right in front of me.  As I
passed trees, large spider webs were strung between branches and you could
see the large 1/2" diameter spiders in the webs.  My maze of antennas
captured many of the webs.  When I reached the hilltop, my antennas had
spider webs all over them.  At the top of the hill was a 6-foot cross with
white shirts or fabric draped across it (you just can't make this stuff
up!).  I locked the doors and spent a couple of hours handing out
band-grids.  Every now and then I shined my light out the windows looking
for people.  I know it's just my imagination, but I kept thinking I was
going to do that and find a lynch mob with Louisville sluggers in a circle
around my truck.

I didn't get stuck, but it was quite an experience...

73,
Steve