[VHFcontesting] DC Power Distribution

jcplatt1 at mmm.com jcplatt1 at mmm.com
Wed Aug 29 09:15:23 EDT 2007

I'm putting the final touches on my rover for September and I was
wondering if I could get some ideas on what other rovers use for DC
power distribution.  I'm especially interested in what you use to
distribute power to your high power amplifiers.

73 Matt
W5LL

Hi Matt.

Great question.    My experience is that rover designs vary all over the
map from quick setups to dedicated vehicles, so you may get all sorts of
answers to your question.

I can tell you what I do.   My rover is also my car, so it converts back
and forth from a commuter car to roverlite.   All my low band bricks are at
the 100 to 160 watt class, so they need about 23 amps.   Same on the
microwaves - about 10 to 22 amps max.   I have two runs of #8 gauge power
cord that I run from my car battery, through a grommet in the firewall, and
into the cabin area of the car.   When not in use these cables simply are
coiled up under the floor mats.   The power cords are fused (at the
battery) on both the positive and negative lead.   Each line has a
PowerPole connector on the end.  I then use RigRunner power breakout boxes
where one of the power lines goes to my low band and uW IF rigs while the
second line goes to the power amps.  The power amp's themselves then have
short power lines, about two feet, to connect to the RigRunner.   Keep all
leads short.  I separate the rigs from the power amps so that the rigs do
not see the voltage drop created by the amps (separate power lines).   All
my equipment uses PowerPole connectors so that I can go from house to car,
back to house very quickly.

That's pretty much it.   I think when you make the jump to bigger bricks,
into the 200 watts and up class, then you have to jump to the next level of
power distribution including thinking about your alternator.    My current
alternator is 80 amps and roverlite has been on many rover trips with no
problems.

73, Jon
W0ZQ/R