[VHFcontesting] DC Power Distribution

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Aug 29 13:46:07 EDT 2007

Stephen Hicks, N5AC wrote:
> I'm currently using two golf-cart batteries (225Ah), but I have acquired a
> number of 92Ah Telco-grade AGM batteries I want to go integrate in the
> scheme of things.  I'm looking to pick up a charging solution before I do
> that and I'm thinking about one of the ones build for motor homes since they
> are build for a similar environment (lots of batteries that can be
> significantly discharged on the next attachment to shore power).  If I use
> one of these, it will run off of the 2kW inverter in the truck ...
>
> Steve, N5AC

A note of caution -- stay away from Avestor batteries.

AT&T learned the hard way that they were manufactured wrong, and they
caused a big (bang) problem for them.

Knowing AT&T's engineering practices, I'm sure these batteries were
"telco grade" on paper.

Follow the links for nifty photos of a burnt up DSLAM in a Houston
suburb, and damage to the house and fence near it, from the explosion
and fire.

http://saveaccess.org/node/1566

Don't buy Avestor batteries for your rover!!!  (Or more likely, just
stay away from them altogether.)

Nate WY0X