[VHFcontesting] In response to the 900 MHz proposal for higher ERP for surgical RFID devices

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Dec 11 03:47:59 EST 2007

I forget which specific mailing list had the first note about hams
making sure to make comments on the official request to the FCC by a
manufacturer who wanted a waiver to operate a 25W ERP unlicensed
devices in operating rooms, for use in RFID tracking things used in
surgeries, to make sure surgical items didn't end up inside the
patients after surgeries.

Anyway, this news article hit the wires yesterday which has a much
simpler "high tech" device I think the docs might be able to deal
with.  (Maybe -- these are docs and nurses who can't count... but
whatever.)
Bar codes to the rescue!
The real article is linked from Slashdot, of course... or the URL of
the article is:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/12/071208171847.htm

Another reason the variance shouldn't be given.  If a bar code scanner
can do the job...

Well, anyway... just thought I'd share.

The comment period ends December 15th.  My comments are already in.
Please feel free to reference the article as yet another reason not to
allow the ERP increase, if you haven't sent in any comments yet.
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-07-4606A1.pdf

The KISS principal strikes again.  If you had to add technology to
something already complex, add SIMPLE technology that works.

The RF technology is simply not needed if a bar code will do the same
job.

To file comments:

  Go to www.fcc.gov/cgb/ecfs
  Select "Submit a filing"