[VHFcontesting] Fw: APRS while roving

Mike McCarty kb8yhv at amsat.org
Tue Dec 18 07:51:33 EST 2007

>> Mac,
>> HamIM is a strategy defined as "APRS on simplex".  When used, it happens on 147.585 MHz rather than 144.39 MHz (where APRS hangs
>> out).  It is fully allowed for all participants (including single ops).
>>
>> You and I both understand that the rules changes now appear to allow "fully assisted APRS" (on 144.39), but only for Rovers (in
>> TX-only mode) and Multi-ops (in RX-only mode).
>>

>> The implications of this rule are that multi ops will know "when/where rovers are".  I'm actually thinking about entering as a
>> multi-op, just to play with these changes a little for myself. (I play to have fun...which I don't define by how I place relative
>> to the "top 10"). :)
>>
>> Ev, W2EV

Ev, I understand what they were trying to do with the new rules for APRS as far as spotting for rovers on APRS to be used
by  multi-op stations, but you make a distinction between APRS on 144.39 and HamIM on 147.585, that I don't see in the rules.
As somebody who is new to this, I see HamIM as an APRS system.  You said it yourself, it's "APRS on simplex".  If only rovers
are allowed APRS but  are only allowed to tx callsign and position don't the rules preclude the use of HamIM for everybody?

 -Mac, KB8YHV