[VHFcontesting] Who's driving that rover?

k4gun at comcast.net k4gun at comcast.net
Tue Dec 18 09:31:19 EST 2007

Thanks for that reply, although I'm still a little confused.  If you don't mind, I'm going to give a couple of specific examples about which I would like your opinion:

1.  I (K4GUN) am driving my truck.  Part of my roving plan is to operate while on the move.  In the passenger seat is another ham.  Is it legal under the rules for me to work the mic and tuner and the other ham to log the contacts?

2.  I am still driving the truck but the traffic conditions are such that I can't safely operate the mic.  Can I hand it over to the other ham who would continue operating under my callsign?  The other person would be handling all operating duties except driving.

3.  If the answer to number one is that its not legal for a driver to handle both the mic and the steering wheel if there is another person in the truck, can the other person in the vehicle transmit under my callsign?

Again, I know I'm very late to this party and these are likely very ignorant questions.  The suggestion of having an FAQ about the roving rules is a good one but without that, I'm turning to this list for help.

Steve
K4GUN

From: "Jim Worsham" <wa4kxy at bellsouth.net>