[VHFcontesting] Another rookie question

Bruce Richardson w9fz at w9fz.com
Sun Dec 23 03:26:04 EST 2007

Rovers pre-selecting/pre-announcing a "run" frequency:

Many years ago, I was asked to do this by prominent Twin
Cities VHF stations. I was out in the sticks (where it was
quiet).  They were in the city where it is noisy with
activity.  They taught me that THEY would hear me better if
I'd pick a frequency up or down the band.  Ya know what,
they were right!

As the years have gone by, I've gotten better and better at
staying (close to) "on schedule".  Fixed stations have
learned to trust my schedule and my operating
skill/technique.  (Those who don't like my technique avoid
me :-) )

When I've tried to encourage new rovers to "pick a freq up
the band", they give it a noble effort but afterwards say
they only found activity once they went down to the calling
freq.  My advice, keep trying the off-the-calling-freq freqs
and regional stations will learn your style.

Now, one problem to drumming up activity up the band on
"your" freq is if you don't have enough ERP to be heard.  A
van with omni's has an effective range of about 50 miles. So
I know some "van with omni's" rovers who troll the
Milwaukee/Chicago stretch and they stick to the calling
freq.  When I tune by the calling freq while pointed at
Milw/Chicago, I can hear a madhouse working a rover that I
can't hear out in the sticks. I think the rover would be
heard in those metropolitan areas up the bands, but their
experience says not.

(I'm a big fan of brick amplifiers and beam antennas to keep
my ERP up in the range where I can be heard 100 to 300 miles
away.)

I believe "madhouses" have decreased efficiency for most
operators. That's why I think techniques and procedures that
minimize "madhouses" are a good thing.  The calling freqs
too often turn into "madhouses".  That's why I really like
picking a freq "up" (or down) the band.

Since I'm somewhat experienced and most regional operators
know my style/capabilities, I pick 144.240, .245, or .250
most times.  I encourage newer guys to the .225-.240 range.
Most times, when I get to a new grid, I just start cq'ing on
"my" freq.  There are some GREAT stations in the midwest
like W9GA, N9DG, K2DRH, N0KP, W0ZQ, W0GHZ, KC9BQA, K2YAX,
and many others who spin their dials LOTS. They usually find
me pretty quickly. If I'm not found quickly, I go to the
calling freq and make one or two calls saying "I'm up on
144.xxx listening" and then I go back to "my" freq.

Not sure how it works in other parts of the country, but
rovers picking (pre-announcing) freqs seems pretty popular
and works pretty well in the Upper Midwest.  But it requires
fixed stations to tune around a bunch. If they don't do that
in your area, it may be tough to adopt procedures like this.

73
Bruce Richardson W9FZ/R