[VHFcontesting] Another rookie question

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sun Dec 23 13:53:39 EST 2007

On Dec 23, 2007, at 11:02 AM, k4gun at comcast.net wrote:

> You guys have out done yourselves.  Between the posted replies and
> several private e-mails, I have a much better idea of how to go into
> this contest as a first time "Limited Rover".  What I am noticing is
> that there is not one single answer for everybody.  Each person is
> doing things different and it seems like its based on station
> capabilities, operating style, populations, location and activity
> levels.  I've found advice in each reply that I can use in my
> operating situation.  I will be taking a little bit from each of you.

It's fun, isn't it?  Depending on a lot of factors, your operating
"style" will be different than a lot of other Rovers.  It's a very
interesting category.

I'll just make some comments scattered below...

> Just to let you know what I'm working with, I'll give a basic
> description of what I have and what the plans are.  I have an Icom
> IC7000 mounted in the console box of my truck that I have been using
> for a few months.  I'm pretty comfortable using it on the move and
> have become fairly adept at using the functions with a minimum of
> distraction (I even worked a few split DX stations while driving 70
> MPH down I-95).  I also have an IC 746 Pro that is going into the
> back seat.  I have an aux battery in the tool box of the truck with
> a power panel in the cab to run everything.

If you can swing an old beater laptop, and you can type fairly well (I
can type without really looking at the keyboard, one-handed... so...
you determine how much this comment is worth to you...), I highly
recommend mounting a laptop and using logging software.  I like
RoverLog.  One-handed operation is a piece of cake, and it runs on
darn near any OS.  It's also free.  Well, kinda... send a donation if
you like/use it... don't be a dead-beat!  (GRIN)  But yeah, it's free.

> For antennas, I have two painter's poles that are reinforced with
> PVC pipe and bolted to a cargo divider across the bed.  On the first
> pole, I have stacked loops for 2 meters and 432.  On the second
> pole, I have a single loop.  These are the antennas for use while
> moving.  When I reach a place to set up, I have an Elk log periodic
> for 2/432 on a quick detach mount that goes on the 6 meter loop
> pole.  I also have a Stressed Moxon that goes on the other pole and
> attaches with only two thumb screws.  The painter's poles will raise
> each antenna roughly 19' above the ground.  Total set up time from
> park to operating is less than 5 minutes.

The loops will work.  They're better than nothing.  6m loops work
great when the band is open.

I was disappointed with the log periodic I used and am going back to
individual antennas per band on yagis for my rover.   The log periodic
introduced a new "problem" for rover operations... antenna switching.
I had a lot of switches to get the right radios connected to the
antenna at the right time.

It worked, and got me a good score in 2007, but I had to work harder
to use that antenna and being a KISS guy, the 2006 setup with multiple
yagis was "easier".  But use what you have and just keep it in mind
for the future!

As far as height, I don't know where you're roving, but terrain trumps
push-up poles any day of the week.   Pull out a topo map and plan a
route that gets you on high ground in the grids you want to work
from.  You have a movable station, so choose operating locations that
give you an advantage.

> Both directional antennas will be aimed toward the front of the
> truck.  The truck has a factory navigation system with a built in
> compass.  I'll rotate the truck as needed to aim the antennas.  The
> factory nav also has a function to show exact longitude and
> latitude.  With that and a small paper map, I'll know exactly when I
> cross into a new grid.

This will work, but I'll throw an idea out there for you.  Many Garmin
(and I assume most other) GPS's will show maidenhead grid squares down
to the 6th letter if placed in the right mode.  I picked up a Garmin
GPS V for $100 used a few years ago, and it makes the chore of knowing
where you are much simpler.

Also the latest great rules debate notwithstanding, you might want a
GPS on-board if you're planning on taking advantage of the new APRS
rules.

> The plan is to start on a mountain and operate for about 3 hours.
> I'll then move to the beach which is at a grid corner and includes
> two fairly rare grids (FM26 and 27).  I'll be taking a slightly
> circuitous route which will put me in two other grids for only a few
> miles.  I will not be stopping in those but will make contacts while
> moving to "open" them for the multiplier.

Remember that moving grids gets you multipliers.  3 hours is a long
time in one spot if an hour or two will do the job.   Many rovers plan
HUGE routes that cover 10+ grids during a contest.

> Earlier this month, I made a scouting trip to the beach and found
> several suitable places to operate.  While there, I made a number of
> VHF contacts with both directional and omni antennas.  The Elk
> antenna gives a big advantage to the 432 stack, but the 2 meter
> stack proved to be as effective as the Elk on that band.

Yep... you've got the right idea.  Operate with what you have and then
think of ways to improve it!

> At about sunset on Sunday, I'll head North.  I found a nice rest
> stop about a mile into FM29 on my way home where I could set up if I
> have the time, energy and there is enough activity to warrant it.
> From there, I head home where I'll finish up close to the house.

Rest stops work, but if they're crowded you can have two unintended
consequences:  Lookie-loos (which I like -- I'll stop operating and
talk to folks about what I'm doing but if you're in a hurry or have a
fixed station trying to quickly work you up all of your available
bands, this can be a distraction) and crowdedness... if the rest-stop
is full/busy at night (when people stop to sleep or take a break) it
can be hard to turn/point a vehicle in a rest stop.   Sometimes a
deserted county road another exit up on top of a big hill is better.
Just something to think about.

> Based on everybody's input, I'll be refining this and figuring out
> how loose or tight to make my schedule and how and when to run and
> when to S&P.  I'll likely have a co-pilot to help me log as well.
> I'm still working out details, but this list has been invaluable so
> far.

Sounds like you're well on your way to some rover fun!!!

--
Nate Duehr, WY0X
nate at natetech.com