[VHFcontesting] Another rookie question

Mike McCarty kb8yhv at amsat.org
Tue Dec 25 13:08:20 EST 2007

> As to CW, I am not sure if I can make that work.  Because I got my first license in March of this year, I haven't had to learn it.
> I've been working on my own for the last couple of months.  I'm at the point where I can send fairly well, but I can't copy for
> crap.  Its very frustrating..  No matter how much I practice and try, I can't get it down.  I'm a bit skeptical of those MFJ code
> readers and I'm not sure I want to spend $90 to find out if it works for me.  What are your thoughts on this?  Like I said, I can
> send fairly well, although a bit slow.
>
> Steve
> K4GUN

I passed the 13 wpm test about ten years ago to get the advanced class license, but never really used it.  I've taken some interest
in it again and have been
working on it the past month.  I used the MJF trainer ten years ago and it works well.  I'd come home from work, plop down in the
easy chair, and
practice my copy for a half hour or so each day.  This time around I've been using the G4FON software on the computer and have been
downloading
the ARRL code practice MP3s from their website.  I use ITunes to burn them to an audio CD so I can listen in my truck on the half
hour drive
to work and back each day.  You could also put them on an MP3 player and play them through your vehicle's radio.

Everbody learns differently, but I'd suggest listenening to the ARRL code pratice or random words at around 15 to 20 words per
minute until you can
you can start to decipher it.  Random letters don't do a whole lot of good.  At faster speeds you need to start recognizing whole
words, common letter
sequences, prefixes and suffixes.  Just keep at it until the sounds are imprinted on your brain and you have instant recognition
without having to
replay the sound in your head and decipher what you just heard.  Keep plugging away at it...

-Mac, KB8YHV