[VHFcontesting] CW

Crownhaven crownhaven at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 26 16:29:18 EST 2007

It is hard to learn something if you don't enjoy it.  I would suggest,
after you have learned the characters audibly, no matter how slow you
might be able to copy, that you get on the air and do ONE CW QSO every
day.  Forty and 80 meters are good bands.  Soon you will find it
exciting to hear your call when someone comes back.  Also, very
interesting to see where they are.  Send very slow CQs.  Someone else
trying to learn will answer you.  Your speed will improve rapidly.  It
is frustrating at first but comes quickly.  My project was to work all
states on CW as a technician and I did it.

One of my most memorable QSOs as a new ham was working a long-haul truck
driver on 40 meters who only operated CW from a key strapped to his knee.

You really need to have some CW skills to adequately utilize the VHF/UHF
bands.  Otherwise, the tough contacts will elude you.

Steve, N4JQQ, EM55