[VHFcontesting] vucc

Eugene Zimmerman ezimmerm at erols.com
Mon Feb 12 14:37:08 EST 2007

Hi Frank

It's now a circle with a RADIUS of 200 km. Not any other shape but a CIRCLE.

The VUCC distance rule used to be anywhere within your own grid square OR
within a 50 km radius circle if outside your grid square. It was clearly
unfair and illogical that the distance depended on being in your own grid
square. The new present rule is a 200 km radius circle to conform with the
longest average distance between the corners of a grid square ~129 miles or
~200 km. 200 km is chosen to be a round number.

I had been agitating - without success - essentially since VUCC started 25
years ago to do away with the original distance rule. Now finally that has
happened. We should be thankful for small favors.

73  Gene W3ZZ