[VHFcontesting] vhf/uhf activity

John Geiger johngeig at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 26 21:20:25 EST 2007

> The new hams around here have the "frequency du
> jour"... last year it
> was on 6m... when they all put up 6m antennas...
> this year it was
> 144.220 area... when they all built mobile
> horizontal loops...

I think this is another problem with getting people
interested in VHF weak signal work today.  For some
reason, many people believe that the horizontal loop
is the antenna.  It is probably better than
nothing-but not by much.  Even getting a 4 element
yagi up will beat the heck out of it, and not take up
any more space.  I think many try out the loop, don't
hear anything because of its poor performance, and
then give up on 2 meter SSB because there "is no
activity."

73s John W5TD