[VHFcontesting] indoor antennas on 50 MHz

Sean Kutzko kx9x at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 28 12:16:29 EST 2007

Excellent topic.

Never forget that when on an expedition, your location
can add dB to your signal. Better to have SOME antenna
than NO antenna.

I currently live in an apartment, and have had only
indoor antennas for the last two years. I have a 6m
dipole made of 20-gauge speaker wire that has worked
well in my operating room of my second-story apartment
here in Illinois. True, the noise level is higher
(S-5), so I don't hear the really weak stations, but
I've made plenty of QSO's during moderate openings,
including Central America and the Caribbean. I was
able to hear the JA opening back in June of 2006, but
didn't work any of them.

I've recently come up with a way to temporarily get 2,
6m hamsticks out the bedroom window as a dipole. It'll
take a bit of effort to do that during an opening, but
it gets rid of the extra noise level.

So I wish I still had my VHF antennas at 75 feet in my
backyard? Of course I do, but I'll certainly take an
indoor antenna over none at all.

73,

Sean KX9X

Sean Kutzko, Amateur Radio KX9X