[VHFcontesting] VHF/UHF Activity

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Wed Feb 28 16:43:15 EST 2007

Amen!
One really good way to foster activity is to run extended range skeds on any
of the VHF bands. That is a great way, to generate interest and build
activity on the air. When I was a kid, I used to listen to K2IEJ (Long
Island NY)  run a daily sked with Art, W8KAY (Akron, OH) on 144 MHz. I could
never even hear W8KAY, but I would always listen in with my single yagi on
the roof and RG-59 coax. It seemed that the whole East Coast around NYC
would do likewise, and many people would call and it got people on the band.
W1COT has done that in New England, for quite awhile with Andy, W8ANS, and
there is always a crew in there listening and checking out the band! Many
times you will hear comments like "Gee the Hepburn Map did not predict this
opening!"   At the same time there are other daily skeds of a local nature
that attract all sorts of participants. In short we need some regular and
dependable operation to provide an incentive for others to listen. We have
to use the bands, not monitor the internet for propagation indices and DX
reports.
    I really miss having a  good shack at my house, or I would be running
some sort of sked, any sked, too!  I past years, I ran daily skeds with
K0MQS,  WA4CQG, WA4GPM and K1FJM/4. It was fun to get on each morning before
work, and I was always amazed at the stations who would often show up. The
skeds with WA4GPM were tropo. He was 535 miles away, and we could work on CW
everyday. Some days were SSB. With my shack away from the house now, and
with no heat, it really curtails random activity. I am waiting for Spring
though, and am stocked up with generator diesel fuel!

Dave K1WHS