[VHFcontesting] Looking for a good VHF/UHF rover antenna

Stephan Andre' andres at msu.edu
Sun Jul 8 14:46:33 EDT 2007

On Sunday 08 July 2007 12:17:17 Dave Larsen (WS2L) wrote:
> Hopefully for the September contest I want to enter as a rover and travel
> to several grids. I am looking for a fairly small antenna as at least one
> of the locations I will be operating from is 1,800 feet ASL. I have been
> looking at the Cushcraft A270-10S which operates on 144 & 432 MHz and is on
> a 6' boom. The other antenna is also a Cushcraft, the A627013S which
> operates on 50, 144 and 432 MHz and is on a boom that is a little longer
> than 8'. Both of these antennas can be easily mounted and used in my pick
> up truck. I'm curious if anyone here has used and/or have any comments or
> opinions on these antennas. I just bought a 13B2 for the house so once it
> goes up it stays up.
>
> Tnx everyone,
> Dave .... WS2L

This might not be at all reasonable; I don't know about this antenna, but
Tennadyne (http://www.tennadyne.com/specs&prices.htm) has a log periodic
good from 6m to 23cm, on a 12 foot boom.  The tradeoff of course is gain,
about 6dB they say.  But it is one antenna, covering 6 bands.

I'm curious what folks think of this.  6dB at 1296 scares me--but then again
it would allow for a small rover to cover the most common VHF bands.

--STeve Andre'
wb8wsf  en82