[VHFcontesting] rover antennas

Dan_K9ZF n9rla at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 10 18:06:03 EDT 2007

I have to agree with Frank, I like to have big antennas for the Rover.

I guess it depends on your "audience".  If you are planning to Rove
through urban areas with most of your contacts at short range then
loops, or logs, may be sufficient.  But, if you are into hill topping or
Roving through the vast empty spaces of the Midwest and west, then you
need some serious gain.

I usually run solo, so that limits the maximum size of my antennas.  I
have found the 12' boom length is about my limit.  My current setup is a
Par stressed Moxon on 6 meters, a 10 element cushcraft on 2m, 7 elements
on 222, and 11 elements on 432.  These are all mounted to a push up
mast, which is mounted in the center of the bed of my pickup.  This
setup has worked well for me over the years.

Good feed lines are important, but don't sweat tenths of a db with the
normally short runs of Rover feed lines.

Good luck and have fun!

73
Dan
--