[VHFcontesting] rover tech - coax

frank bechdoldt k3uhf at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 11 01:12:34 EDT 2007

The problem with LMR 400 thats not flexable is the fact that its not
flexable.  You might find yourself with broken solder points with a non
flexable lmr 400.  Soldering on top of the car sucks.

Always keep one or 2 spare coaxes of the longest piece in your set up in
case of problems.  I loose a coax on every run. Usually in a fitting where
the outer jacket breaks free of the solder due to vibration.

Which leads me to suggest that you tie wrap your coax as close to the
antenna connection as practical without dammaging it.  If your going to do
this every contest, just buy the antennas to do it all and leave the coaxes
connected to them.

Also check out e-bay for deals on short lengths of flexable hardline.  I
have yet to have that stuff fail and it makes a good tie down to strap the
lmr 400 ultra flex to.

Organize your coaxes with tywraps too, you might have to mess it up to fix
something but its better than starting off with a rats nest.

k3uhf