[VHFcontesting] CQ WW vhf

Patrick Korten patrick.korten at verizon.net
Tue Jul 24 09:40:59 EDT 2007

I have been a pretty casual contester for a while -- my only accomplishment of note was working a "clean sweep" during the 2000 SSB Sweepstakes -- and there has been precious little opportunity lately to operate on HF, since the home QTH is in VA, and for the past 3 years, I've been spending weekdays and every other weekend at a job in New Haven, CT.  The apartment up here doesn't come with outside antenna space, but I did find that a 2m loop near the window actually allowed contacts of 60 miles or so.  The FT-857D I'd picked up a couple of years ago provided me with 6m and 2m CW and SSB capability that I hadn't had before (despite being lincensed since 1962!), so I decided to see what I could do.  I called HRO and ordered two extremely modest antennas, a 2 el 6m Yagi, and a 5 el 2m Yagi.  Modest, but very portable, and very quick to assemble.  They arrived at 11:00 am Saturday morning. I was in business!

I work at the headquarters of the Knights of Columbus, a 22 story building less than a mile from Long Island Sound, with a clear eyeball view of Long Island.  The rooftop would have been an ideal spot for VHF communications, but I couldn't get permission to operate up there.  Next best thing was to try operating from the 22nd floor cafeteria, which has floor-to-ceiling windows all around (and one heck of a view). I wasn't sure what impact the massive amounts of steel above and below would have, though.  I assumed that I'd be able to make plenty of 2m contacts, since I had line-of-sight views for many miles in any direction, but in the event, I could not work, or even hear, many stations on 2.  Every contact there except one was from the home grid square of FN31.  Thank goodness for K1WHS!

The "magic band" was another story.  I'd never experienced anything like that - 5 minute openings, a constantly shifting geographical pattern of contacts, and openings that ended as abruptly as they began.  I caught the Saturday evening activity, snagging contacts in Southern Virginia, North Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee and Georgia.  Sunday midday brought openings to Chicagoland and Iowa.  Overall, only 26 contacts, but enough to whet my appetite for more, next time with a little more preparation.  Thanks to all who were so patient with my rusty operating technique.

Next year, maybe I'll try roving!

Pat, KE4VH