[VHFcontesting] question about 50.125 use

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Jun 6 04:24:11 EDT 2007

On Jun 3, 2007, at 5:51 PM, Gregg Seidl wrote:

> was in great shape.I had a gentleman give me a hard time for being
> "too
> close" to the call freq.A real hard time,borderline harassment.

Sharing from a favorite list of rules to live by:

"Don't take anything personally.

Nothing others do is because of you.  What others say and do is a
projection of their own reality, their own dream.  When you are
immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won't be the victim
of needless suffering."

And where was he when he chose to harass you?  Same frequency I assume.

He wants you to move, you don't want to.  I see no real reason to
worry or stew over it, either way.  Thank him for his opinion and
move on.

Here's one my dad taught me:  "Apply the 5 year rule."  Will what you
did... using a frequency near the calling frequency... matter in 5
years?  Nope.

Furrr-get-a-bout-it.  :-)  Have fun with the hobby.

And if you're the vindictive sort, or just have a twisted sense of
humor...

Tell him that you couldn't copy him, something's wrong with his
audio, and that you didn't understand him but you think he said he
wanted you to QSY to 50.125 and then QSY somewhere else -- he'll
freak out and tune 50.125 to "tell you how it is" and at the same
time he'll be checking every connection in his shack.

Meanwhile, you'll be long gone somewhere else... maybe to the fridge
for a cold one to congratulate yourself on your newest grid square
you just worked.

There's always a way to mess with the heads of the little frequency
tyrants.

Would I really do that?  Nahhh... probably not.  But sometimes, you
just gotta have a little fun with people that take this stuff too
seriously.

There's three other rules that go with that first one... Be
impeccable with your word, Don't make assumptions, and Always do your
best.  You did all of those... and even checked in here to the list
to make sure you hadn't done anything wrong.  (No assumptions.)

Now just don't let him get to you, and you've got it.  It *is*
supposed to be fun after all.  That guy was busy chewing you out
during a band opening instead of working rare ones.  His loss.

--
Nate Duehr, WY0X