[VHFcontesting] [VHF] IC746 vs FT920 vs TS570SG

T. M. k7xc at charter.net
Mon Mar 5 23:04:11 EST 2007

I have owned a IC-746 for 4 or 5 years now and am quite impressed with it.

The only thing I wish it had was software defined power control per band
like the 706 series. The 746 uses a single pot to control all bands which
can be a problem when you using 100W on 6m and need only 10w to drive a
AM-6154 on 2M.

The other cavaet is the IC151 power control IC problem. If you do by one be
sure to locat it and add a heatsink to it.

As to operating, I am an avid contester, both HF and VHF. There is no better
test of a rcvr front end than 6M during the June contest dduring a strong Es
opening and of course, The ARRL HF Sweepstakes. Both will work the rcvr hard
but the 746 has always been up the the task.

FWIW... Your mileage may vary...

73s de Tim - K7XC - DM09nm... sk