[VHFcontesting] VHF/UHF cable installation?

steve d kc8qvo at yahoo.com
Thu May 3 18:45:36 EDT 2007

Hi all, I have a question regarding installing cable for VHF/UHF.

  What I want to do is wire up my cabin in EN39 for coax and rotor  control. How I want to do it is run cables from the inside wall of the  cabin through the wall, into the porch, and through the outside porch  wall. Then, connect my cables on to those inside to the rig and outside  to the antennas.

  I have 1/2" heliax LDF4-50A. The cable runs will be under 150'. Will it  be OK to run that through the cabin as I described with N females on  both ends? Or will the attenuation through the connections not be worth  it? What size cable would you reccomend? What connector? Obviously if I  go to something like 1-5/8" through the cabin and put an N connector on  there then I am compressing the energy through the cable to come out a  small connector and into a decent size cable on the other end.

  Im no pro when it comes to these connections, but I want to have the  least attenuation I can get without having it be a pain in the butt and  expensive.

  Steve, KC8QVO