[VHFcontesting] 6M Sprint UTC Time Question

Zack Widup w9sz at prairienet.org
Sun Nov 4 09:02:59 EST 2007

On Sat, 3 Nov 2007, R Johnson wrote:

> Couple of day later he asked me a question I couldn't answer.
>
> The question is: If all the other Sprints run from 7 PM to 11 PM local time, how come
> the 6M Sprint runs from 2300Z to 0300Z. He figured out that the West Coast was starting
> at 4 PM local time while he was starting at 7 PM local time, giving the West Coast a 3hr
> daylight advantage over the East Coast.

Hi Bob,

Six meters is the only VHF band which is likely to have an opening such
than a small station can work others across many time zones.  I haven't
seen it happen in a Sprint, unfortunately, but in the CQWW VHF and ARRL
June contests last year the openings were tremendous and for a while I was
working stations in three time zones.

So I'd quess that providing for that, the times of the 6m Sprint were set
the same for all areas of the USA.

The Microwave Sprint is also at a different time - it's in the morning.
A lot of us go hilltopping for the Microwave Sprint.  I think the idea
there is to give us daylight so we can see more easily whare we're going
and what we're doing when driving to and setting up on hills.

73, Zack W9SZ