[VHFcontesting] Brain pickin time

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sun Nov 4 12:38:33 EST 2007

On Nov 4, 2007, at 9:52 AM, Eric Smith wrote:

> Hmmm... Uniden HR 2510/2600???  Similar "motherboard" as
> the HTX100 but has ALL modes!
> Not sure what you mean by a "hostile" environment.  I
> assume a hostile "RF" environment, not just because you are
> running these four bands in close proximity, but, your
> portable operation may not be in a "radio free" area.  Then
> there are the "in-band" RF hostilities that present
> themselves most readily in the Northeast corner of the
> CONUS...

I don't think he meant "hostile" in the traditional sense.  I read his
"hostile" description as "crowded band conditions", since in context
he was talking about the radio's adjacent channel rejection
capabilities.

> I agree that the 10 meter only mobiles may "fold up and go
> home" on a really crowded 6 meter band, especially during
> an opening... and tighter IF filters aren't readily
> available for these radios.

Yep, that's what he was talking about.

> If the  6 meter performance in the Yaesu FT 450 is good
> enough, that may be an option and would save on the cost of
> a transverter for that band, has pretty decent specs, and
> once set up, is a breeze to operate, and has voice/CW
> keying built-in.  Some may find the front-mounted CW key
> jack a pain, but in your situation with many operators
> running around from rig to rig,  the ability to take your
> favorite key or keyer from radio to radio, without fumbling
> around in the back to plug it in, might be a good thing...

They're not cheap these days, but the good old FT-736R with amplifiers
is an excellent rig for multi-op multi-band activities.

--
Nate Duehr, WY0X
nate at natetech.com