[VHFcontesting] water damage

George Sintchak/WA2VNV wa2vnv at optonline.net
Sat Oct 13 10:33:38 EDT 2007

John, Sorry to hear about your flood.

Re: water damage. Back some years ago, at BNL, I/we used to wash electronic
equipment, specifically tektronix scopes(tube types & solid state & others)
in a vented hood with mild detergent/degreaser (Zep) diluted ~10:1 sprayed
on the guts & exterior followed by a hot water complete rinse. Then put the
item an a warm ~125 def F oven with an air exhaust to dry for ~24 hrs.

They would come out like brand new. Just avoid over wetting meter faces,
anything paper (old capacitor tube covers), inked legends on front, and into
transformer windings. Otherwise the key was to do a clean hot water wash to
remove any conductive gunk and get it in the vented oven to dry. The key is
to try to get the stuff washed before corossion sets in - time is the
killer.
The military was so impressed with the process, that there was an added spec
the make equipment washable. Thus, we eventually saw the electrolytic caps
(and other parts) in equipment covered with plastic tube insulator covers
instead of paper.

I can't claim any credit for the proceedure - it goes to Frank Rizzo, W2OCM,
now an Silent Key for developing the method. When I first saw it done, I
thought he was crazy, but the results were amazing. Especially the really
dusty inside of equipment would be put through the wash cycle before even
fixing/calibrating the unit, and in many cases it got "fixed" by removing
the dirt. Also, nice to work on clean equipment. So, after the insurance co,
sees your damage, try the wash method to salvage some of what you want to
try to save, you have nothing to lose.

George, WA2VNV