[VHFcontesting] 2M spring sprint- K1WHS

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Tue Apr 8 10:42:03 EDT 2008

Hi K3TUF, K1TEO, N8RA and WZ1V,
Where do you guys find all those stations and grids?  This sprint was a
challenge from FN43 in Maine. First, there is still a lot of snow here in
Maine. The road to the hamshack is impassable, so no way to haul radio gear
or fuel for another month it looks like.There is still about 15" or more of
snow in the woods and shady areas. The bottom of my "road", and I use the
term generously,  is now a lake complete with an iceberg in it. Any exposed
ground is 100% mud. Its "mud season" here now. So I decided to walk up and
haul an OMNI V transceiver, wattmeter, headset etc. etc along with a big
pipe wrench to adjust the exhaust system on my generator. No time for
dinner! I also carried a 6 gallon diesel container with hopes of draining
some fuel from the old generator tank and load it into the new generator
tank. It was almost empty. Well, it was so cold, (right at freezing) that
the diesel fuel would only dribble out at a very slow rate. After about 30
minutes, I had about 3/4 of a gallon. So I gave up on that idea. With the
road impassable, I cannot haul diesel fuel. (At $4.00 a gallon, I am not
sure I want to haul diesel fuel!!!)
    Al, WA1T showed up to operate, but we immediately discovered that the
Prosistel rotor had seized up and would not turn past a 20 degree "window".
This really cramped our style. It was impossible to peak people up or aim in
any directions other than southwest. I was ready to go home but Al announced
that he brought two organic bananas and more importantly, four bottles of
good beer. I decided to stay around and we worked what we could to the
southwest through the S5 power line noise. It was really bad. I have only
been fighting the power company since the year 2000 to get it fixed.
    Next we found that we did not have a keyer paddle to plug into the
exciter.  I stumbled down the hill in the dark to retrieve the correct
paddle. We did get on CW finally, about 8:30 or so. I managed to negotiate
the snow drifts and rushing water without falling in.
    We still had some fun. There was no good DX worked. It was not
summertime condx. The RAT beacon was barely audible, as was WA1ZMS/b. We
heard K8GUN in FM09 on SSB but could not call him in time. FM09 was our best
DX as we  did manage to work WA3EOQ on CW. Nothing to the south past K3CB
and K1RZ et al. Out to the west was a problem with the bad rotor. We worked
nothing out west in FN02 and that area.  We quit at 10:30 PM, tired and
hungry. Believe me,  an organic banana does not constitute a dinner.
I think we had 72 Qs in 18 grids. We never worked anyone north or east of my
location.All contacts were southwest, save for VE2XX and maybe W1AIM. I
think I really do live at the end of the line. No signals heard from Maine
or VE1 at all is quite common here. I miss a lot of grids that way. I should
move south.

73
Dave K1WHS
organicbanana.com