[VHFcontesting] KK6MC/r Spring Sprint Results

James Duffey jamesduffey at comcast.net
Wed Apr 9 22:17:16 EDT 2008

My first rove in a Sprint was a success. I operated from 3 grids:

Grid square	QSOs	Grid squares worked
DM74		9		1
DM75		4		2
DM65		1		1
Total		14		4	56

We started out in DM74 on a small rise southeast of Moriarity. I got
on at 7:04, which is right on time as far my roves go. When you rove,
It is important to be on time. As I setup I heard W0EEA talking to
K5RHR, but when I got all set up and operating, W0EEA was gone. We
tried on and off for the duration I was here, but could not raise him,
even on CW. I worked 9 stations, all in DM65, from here. K7ICW in DM62
was in for a bit, but I was unable to raise him.

I moved to DM75 at 815. This is the site of the old Longhorn Ranch
tourist trap on Route 66. I managed to work W0EEA in DM78 here on CW
when the band came up for a bit. That is a  bit over 300 miles, so I
felt good about it. He needs DM74 though, and it was tough not to work
him from there. Maybe in the June Contest.

By now the basketball game was going into overtime and activity got a
bit sparse. I left DM75 at 930 and headed for home. We arrived there
shortly after 1000 and I put the home grid, DM65 on the air from the
driveway. A CQ raised W6RQR in DM73 for another grid, but nobody was
on from DM65. Not even K5RHR.

This is my 4th rove and my best effort in terms of QSOs per gallon or
miles travelled per QSO. :^)=.

I used an old TS-9130 at 25 Watts to a Cushcraft 13B2 up about 14
feet. I think I need an amp to be a bit more competitive on the long
haul QSOs though. I can't make the 432 sprint, but will be on for the
6M sprint. - Duffey
--
KK6MC
James Duffey